Aug 20, 2012

Leaving Zen'oji

 As I walked down the road, away from Zen'oji, I found a long pile of grave stones and other carved stone. They looked like they had been there before the earthquakes but I could not be sure. In any case, their purpose was not at all clear. Maybe it is the remains of an old graveyard.
 Turning around I could see all the way to the main temple building, even though I had almost left the temple grounds. This would have been a very impressive sight when the temple was new.
 Using my telephoto lens, I could see a woman making an offering at the entrance to the main hall.
 The two stone pillars mark the official end of the temple grounds.I should add that I saw a sign that indicated that this temple is recognized as important by the Sendai city government.
 I decided to try walking west and then turning north so that eventually I would arrive at a subway station. Along the way I found this old shack. Again a good subject for a picture.

After I had walked awhile, thinking that I knew where I was, I discovered that the roads were completely different from my map. Since errors of this scale were highly unlikely on the map, I concluded that I was lost.
Finally I found these stairs which according to a sign led to Dairenji, Big Lotus Temple. After a long search of my map, I discovered that I was about a kilometer and a half farther away from home than I had thought. Home was to the north and I had been walking, in a round about way, to the south. Now that I knew where I was again, I decided to go up the stairs and check out Dairenji.

No comments: