Jan 17, 2012

Dou'unji

 This is the the corridor that leads from the priest's quarters which are off to the left to the meditation hall which you can see in the rear.
 This is looking back on the same structure. The priest's quarters are on the left and the meditation hall is on the hill to the right. I assume that the building between the corridor going up the hill and the priest's home contains a reception hall of some sort. At least that is the way most temples seem to be constructed.
 I was surprised that the statues survived all the shaking.I am not sure who is represented in this statue but because of the children a good guess would be Kannon, who is a protector of pregnant women and children.
Another statue that survived the tremors. Again I do not know who it represents and in this case can not even offer a guess. I am sure that there are sufficient clues that some who was better educated than me would know exactly who is represented.
Most temples have little secondary buildings like that are dedicated to someone or something that is not the primary focus of the temple.
As I followed the road back to the main road, I had to pass through a place where the road cut through a small hill. The tree roots had been exposed and now created a view that reminded me of some modern sculpture.
Someone had left flowers, a yogurt drink and some water as an offering at this little statue.
When I was here just after the earthquakes many of these statues had fallen over. They have now been righted but the tall one in the middle is still leaning at a strange angle.

1 comment:

Robb Scott said...

Happy New Year, Charles. Thank you for these photos and your attention to meticulous detail in your descriptions. -Robb Scott