Jan 13, 2012

Out for a walk

 This is a used car lot. My building is on the left. The building on the right is actually a tower on the shopping center, which is mostly still closed, but we are hoping for something to happen soon.
 This area is quite built up. The empty space on the other side of the road is a stream which is four or five meters below the level of the road. In spite of having so many building, both housing and commercial, you can see, if you look carefully, two greenhouses in the middle of the picture.
 I have shown pictures of this building before. It used to be a restaurant but it was so badly damaged in the quakes that it can not be used any more. Speaking of quakes, we had three yesterday. No damage, but they were strong enough to bother people. I was a bit surprised that I did not have a physical reaction to them as I have had with some of the aftershocks.
 Looking back at the building, I realized that they were removing the building that used to be beside it. However, as in all Japanese construction they have put up temporary barriers so that the work itself is not visible from the road.
 The last time I came by here there was an empty badly damaged house here. Now they have turned it into a parking lot.

 This is the same river that passes by my condo, but I am at least a kilometer to the east, crossing the next bridge.

Before the quakes this building used to be black and it contained a game center. They are repairing it but it does not look like the game center will return. However, I could not determine what was going to replace it. I will have to walk over that way again soon to find out.
 
 This is the wall of the building. The local graffiti artists have been at the tempting white space already.



No comments: