Jan 23, 2012

Mostly art

 Here is a closeup of the driving school building that is being torn down.
 This ad is on a large panel inside the Yaotome subway station. The V in V SMILE! stands for Vegalta and it is an ad for the local pro soccer team.
 However, it you get up close to it, this is what you see - the faces of fans.
 Here is another shot showing a little of the end of V SMILE! so you can judge the size of the pictures. They are smaller than one square inch. This is a very creative use of art. If I had become a commercial artist like I wanted in high school maybe I would have been doing things like this.
 This is near where I have my art classes. In the center you can see a large building covered with blue tarps. It contains a large hall, restaurants and some classrooms for rent. It was badly damaged and they are expecting that it will take the rest of the year to repair it enough to open it for the public again. I was here because some of the students from the art class were joining me in a visit to an art exhibit. I had seen the picture on TV and wanted to see it in person.
 The artist, whose name I have forgotten, sorry, makes one huge picture every year. This one shows the aftermath of the tsunami.
 This is some of the detail.
 The previous year's picture was also on display. It was a view of our galaxy from outer space. Very pretty.
I sneaked behind the galaxy picture to see how it was constructed. It was made from sheets of plywood with a frame around the outside. These frames were bolted together so that it became on large picture. From the front it looked flat but from the back you can see that it has buckled a little.

No comments: