Sep 22, 2012

Along the Nanakita River

 As I walked, I noticed this truck on the far side of the river. From the looks of it, flood waters must have carried it here during one of the heavy rains we had during the summer. The truck is on top of what is obviously a tree that was also brought from someplace else.
 Near my condo, the river is fairly deep, or at least it  has a fair amount of water in it. Here there is almost no water and they are using the occasion to work on the bank.
 This is a large chunk of concrete and reinforcing rods that appears to have come from someplace else. It may have been part of an old mostly destroyed bridge that rolled along in the flood waters.
 Although there was flooding earlier in the year, now the river is unusually low. These lumps in the river are actually the remaining ends of wooden posts that used to hold up a bridge. A new span is about 100 meters to the right.
 This is a bus stop at the point where the river and the road come together again. I bought a sports drink from a machine and sat on the bench resting for a while. When I got up to continue, I noticed the long, deep crack that had been caused by the earthquakes.While resting, I had decided that it was cool enough that I would actually walk to the ocean, a trip of at least 15 kilometers. On my map there were a number of bus routes that I thought would get me home. I had some problems in relations to this but I will wait until the appropriate time to discuss them. Also, according to my map, there were paved bicycle / pedestrian paths along both banks. At first I had thought to follow the north bank, but from the bench I could see that they were working on the north bank of the levee and I could not pass. So I walked back to the previous intersection and crossed the bridge to the south side of the river.
After walking a kilometer or so, I came to the Atago Shrine. Actually there are many shrines with this name around Sendai. I think they are all related in some way, probably to the same branch of Shinto.

No comments: