Sep 4, 2012

Shifukuji

 After passing through the gate, I was no in Shifukuji, shi meaning natural abililty or qualification, fuku meaning happiness and ji temple. This temple is well known in Sendai because of the ajisai, hydrangea, that is plant throughout the grounds. As you can see, there were still some blossoms but they were definitely past their peak.
 On one side of the grounds, I found what appeared to be a shinto shrine. I thought this because of the ropes which you can use to let the gods know you are there. But I have seen these on Buddhist temples as well, so I could not tell. I searched around but there was not sign which might have explained. As I have pointed out many times before, Buddhism and Shinto are very mixed up in some places.
 This stone lamp was tilted to one side. I assume that this was the result of the quakes.
 Almost completely hidden under a tree and behind some bushes, this little group of statues was well tended.
 Hidden nearby, was this statue, which probably represents Kannon Bodhisattva, the protector of children.
Here are some ajisai, hydrangea, and in the background the building in the top photo.

No comments: