Sep 24, 2012

More at Atago Shrine and then on my way again

 If you ignore the fence, and the Japanese are very good at not seeing stuff like this, this little shrine is very nice.
 Cattle and horses are often depicted in statues in the Shinto shrines. This is a cow or bull of some sort. The decorations are quite traditional and you will see such things on live animals during festivals or other events.
 I was not sure what this little building is used for. If this were a Buddhist temple, I would say that it was a meditation room, but this is a Shinto shrine, so I guess it must be used for some kind of ceremony.
 On my way again, I found this sign on the land between the top of the levee and the river. It says that this is protected land for a kind of insect, suzumushi, bell-ringing crickets in English, that make a very pleasing sound.
 A little further toward the sea and I found this strange object sticking out into the path.
I stopped to look at it and found that it is a long slide that goes down the side of the levee into a playground. I was very tempted to try it myself, but it looked very dirty, so I passed up the opportunity. I did, however, us a bench that was behind me to take a five minute break from walking.

No comments: