Sep 27, 2012

Nearing the sea

 I have passed the last bridge and for the first time see clear evidence of the tsunami. This rice paddies were destroyed by the flooding and will not be able to grow crops for at least five more years - until the salt leaches out of the ground.
 All of a sudden I arrived at some construction that completely blocked the path along the levee. You can see the usual blue sheets and lots of survey markers that are guiding the reconstruction.
 I decided to walk back to the final bridge, cross the river and try to get to the sea on that side. This is part of the bridge. In the background, if you enlarge the picture, you may be able to see the statue of Kannon that is on the hill near a few kilometers from my apartment. From  here, both are at least 15 kilometers away.
 From the bridge I was able to see a ship that had just left Sendai Port (a little to the north) and was heading south.
 After crossing the bridge, I started seeing more evidence of the tsunami. Here the white fence was knocked down and has not be replaced.
This pile of concrete used to be the bank that separated the road from the small canal.

No comments: