Sep 23, 2012

At the Atago Shrine

 This is the entrance to the shrine grounds. I was a bit surprised at the size of the building (straight ahead) that appeared to contain the administrative and meeting areas.
 This is the main shrine building.
 Up close I could see the access route to the admin building and also more small buildings in the back.
 Putting my camera up against a hole in the door, I was able to get this picture of the main altar.
 This sign, which was beside the main shrine, seems to give a different name for the shrine, here it is the Yasaka or maybe the Hachisaka Shrine. The sign also retells an old story about how a Prince lost his crown while crossing the Nanakita River. In the past this river was called the Kanmori River, or Crown River.
Walking around the back, I found this nice little shrine, however the doors were closed so I could not see inside.

No comments: