Oct 11, 2011

Dou'unji

 I realized that I had not visited Dou'unji (cave, mist or cloud, temple in Japanese) for a long time so I turned right and after reaching the Bypass road found a place to cross and headed into the temple, which is in an almost circular valley with a single narrow exit through a cut made by a small stream. As I entered through the cut I saw that some of it had collapsed during the quakes, but they had done some work on the damage. I could not tell whether they planned to do more or just hoped that new plants would hold the slope together.
 The first of the caves survived the quakes without problem. The name of the temple refers to the meditation caves that are scattered around the grounds and to the mist that forms in the enclosed valley.
 The next cave was also okay. It looked like there were no serious problems, but there was still more to see.
 The Japanese garden was also undamaged.
 I was surprised that the little Japanese style gazebo had not collapsed. We have seen that others around town did collapse.
The garden was very pretty, but there were few colors other than shades of green. It was too late in the year for many flowers.

No comments: