Oct 12, 2011

Still wandering around Dou'unji temple

 At the end of the garden I showed yesterday, there is a very nice stele. I particularly like the way that the natural rock has been used in conjunction with the worked stone.
 The meditation caves in the cliff wall survived without any apparent damage, although they have a line of red traffic cones along the base of the cliff. Maybe some rocks have fallen off the top.
 I received a real shock when I reached the main building of the temple. It was not there any more. The building had been made from concrete and, as I said in a post after my first visit, I did not find it very pleasing artistically. I assume that the concrete had cracked during the quakes, making the building unusable.
 This was all that remained of the building. I will have to remember to walk over here again during the winter and see if they are building a replacement. Maybe I will come on a day when there is snow on the ground. It should be very pretty.
 Previously the building completely blocked this view of the covered stairs leading up to the meditation hall on the hill.
Here and there around the grounds there was evidence of the quakes. Here a statue has fallen over and has not yet been replaced.

No comments: