Oct 5, 2011

 I had walked through Shogen from east to west, passing Izumi Chuo on the north side. Now I was at the point where I could take a road back down the side of the cliff, now merely a hill, to approach Izumi Chuo from the west. Across from a 7/11 convenience store, I found an open field, flanked by large trees. The pond that I showed yesterday was in the valley behind the trees.
 I realized that these were chestnut trees when I discovered the ground was covered with chestnuts that were still in their protective covers.
 At the end of the field there was a row of low concrete posts separating the field from the road. Someone had carefully placed a small pile of mushrooms on top of each. If I were more gullible, I would think that this was some sort of strange Eastern ritual.
 As always, everywhere you go, the buildings are covered with scaffoldings and repairs are underway. I think that it is going to take at least another couple of years before the obvious damage in Sendai is repaired. The tsunami hit areas will take even more time.
 About half way down the hill, I passed the site where a community meeting building had stood. A work crew was mostly finished with the job of tearing it down. I assume that it had been too badly damaged in the quakes to use.
These are the steps up to the meeting place and what remained of the building.

No comments: