Nov 23, 2011

Walking along the Nanakita River

 The water level is down and the river is quite pleasant again. On this day I was on my way out to Parktown for a visit to my dentist.
 The cracks in the road along the top of the levee, the ones caused by the quakes, are getting wider and deeper. You can not see in the picture but the path is no longer level. There are large differences in height between the sides of the cracks. When I walk along here at night, I must be careful because I could easily twist and ankle.
 The flat brownish area on the other side of the river is stuff that was left by the high water.
 This bridge carries the main road from Izumi Chuo to Sendai over the the river. It is next to the soccer stadium (on the left) and under it there are two roads plus river. Notice all the loose dirt on the road. This area flooded after the heavy rain and the dirt washed down from the bankings beside the bridge.
 They are finally repairing the damage to the the walkways around the outside of the stadium. This is mostly just a question of taking up the paving stones, flattening the dirt underneath, and they replacing the stones so that the area is flat again.
 This is Selva, one of the main stores at Izumi Chuo. Notice all the dark spots on the left side of the wall. This are places where the gray bricks fell off during the quakes.
I took a bus from Izumi Chuo to Parktown but got there too early, so I walk around a small park about a half kilometer from my dentist's office.

No comments: