Nov 1, 2011

Wandering around the neighborhood again

 I was on my way to get a bus to go to work and I noticed this pile of 'snow' behind the Seiyu shopping center next door. Actually it is the scrapings that are left over after they smooth the ice in the skating rink. From what I have heard from a German woman who is a skater, this is the only operating rink in Sendai and there are some promising young people who practice here.
 This is the store by my bus stop. It has changed many times over the last few years. I am not sure what it is going to be this time, but they are putting in stock and getting ready to open.
 Just down the street from the bus stop, they are working on what was an odon shop. Odon is a kind of noodle. It is white and quite large. Served with a variety of things placed on top of the noodles and all smothered in soup, it is delicious.

 This building is near school, Tohoku Gakuin U. You used to see a lot of buildings like this, parking inside the first floor and the working/living areas above, but nowadays you seldom see a new building built this way. Maybe they have changed the building codes.
Another building is being replaced. I assume that the home that was here was so badly damaged in the earthquakes that they had to replace the whole thing.

No comments: