Nov 8, 2011

Walking home from Sendai

 Every time I walk from downtown Sendai to home, I see new things, stuff that has been there but I had not noticed and absolutely new stuff. The above is another old house surrounded by new ferro concrete buildings and the usual blue tarp.
 This is the tax office for Sendai. The building on the left was the place where I worked when I was part of the setup committee for Miyagi University. I was there for a year and then when the university opened I became a full professor on the campus on the north side of the city.
 Almost across the street from the tax center is a ballet school. It has been there for many years, since before I came to Sendai, so it must be successful.
 This is a motocycle police officer, a shirobai (Japanese for white bike). He is giving the driver of the blue car a ticket. Japan has a point system for drivers. Each ticket is associated with a certain number of points, get enough points and all sorts of bad things happen including losing your license. If you go five years without a deduction good things happen, like reduced costs for insurance.
 The open drainage system is a welcome relief from the ferro concrete buildings which line the road.
This two story apartment building is almost exactly at the high point on the road home, however, I would say that it is a low point in places to live.

No comments: