Feb 24, 2012

Going out to eat

 The weather was bad, but my friend Tony took me to a famous soba restaurant up on the side of a mountain. There was a Shinto shrine next to the parking lot. I could not see much because it was dark and there was a lot of snow covering everything.
 The restaurant was in what looked like an old house.
There was a sign on the door that said junbi chu, meaning there were preparing. We stood there for quite a while, looking at the parking lot.
 I walked up and tried to get closer to the shrine but all I could see was the snow on the roof.
 Another shot of the torii. You can see the shrine just to the right. After we had stood there in the cold for a long time, two men came out and told us that they had already closed for the day and that they did not serve an evening meal in the winter.
 We drove down out of the mountains and went to a noodle shop in town. The food was excellent.
 The next morning I found that I had to walk through ankle deep snow to get to my classroom.
Once I got off the path and on to the roads, it was alright, because they had already plowed.

Note:  I will be travelling for the next few days so I will probably not be able to post here for the next four days. When I get home, I will continue to post pictures from the International University of Japan and then from my travels.

No comments: