Feb 10, 2012

A nice day for a change

 The views around the campus are truly spectacular when the skies are blue and the clouds few.
 In the evening the colors of sunset were beautiful as they lit up the mountains.
 My camera did not quite capture the hint of red in the sunset.
 The blobs of snow caught in the trees give them a strange shape.
 This was my super at the campus cafeteria. I had fried chicken with two dishes of vegetables. The total price was 420, less than a cup of coffee in many coffee shops.
 The next morning I found that the gray skies had returned. The building in the background seems to be the only sign of industrial activity that I have seen since I got here.
 The valley contains a river, train tracks and a number of little villages. I can see into the valley from the window at the end of the hall in front of my office.
I am still amazed at the moss and other plants that are growing under the snow. One reason that they can survive is probably because the temperature never gets too low. During the day it is usually within a degree or two of freezing and at night it only drops a few degrees.

No comments: