Apr 4, 2011

Earthquake Diary 52

I forgot to mention something that I thought was interesting. In Ito Yokado all of the fresh vegetables and fruit were labeled with the location where they were grown. The farmer's markets usually do this, even listing the farmer's name, but supermarket don't do it unless they have a special of some kind, most often at a raised price. However, these markings, mostly prefecture names, were obviously there to ease the minds of those people who are worried about possible radioactive contamination from the nuclear power station. Personally I am not worried about it yet. The levels are so low and I am so old that it is not a problem. I would, however, be concerned about giving my grandchildren exposure at the levels near the sites. The levels away from the site are no higher than occur naturally in many locations throughout the world. If there is another explosion, this will all change.

No comments: