Apr 18, 2011

Earthquake Diary 79


 About half way to Miyagi Gakuen University, I discovered something very surprising - the trash was being collected.
 Until reaching here, about 4.5 kilometers from home, I had seem little damage and none that was sufficient to photograph, but here there were reminders of the strength of the tremors. This building used to have four ceramic chimneys sticking up from the little tower-like thing on the roof..
 This building had lost most of its roof tiles, the remains of which had been swept into a long thin pile along the base of the wall.
 This little shed seemed to be completely unharmed. Of course, we can not see inside. The building on the hill in the background is part of the high school that is part of the university. If I could walk straight up the hill from here I would almost be there. However, the road moves away from the campus and when well passed it, an intersecting road passes in front of the school.
I was amazed that this old two car garage was still standing. Every time I walk by it, I expect to find it on the ground without the help of a huge earthquake.

No comments: