Mar 18, 2011

Earthquake Diary 07

 This is the first picture I took after the quake. You can see where the ground cracked open. I took the picture from our second floor balcony. The crack is close to 10 cm wide at the widest point.
 This is the next building, again from our balcony. The horizontal concrete slab used to touch the bricks on the wall. It dropped more than the span of my hand.
This is looking straight down from our balcony at the base of our building. The ground is split open right up to our foundation.
 I went around to the other side of our apartment and out onto a different balcony. This picture shows the garden that belongs to the apartment under ours. Notice how the ground is also cracked here - between the building and the hedge.
 I decided to go outdoors and went down the stairs to the exit. I found the hall to have some damage. The off-white object on the right used to be part of the ceiling.
 I went through the door to the outside and found that the bricks had sunk about 5 cm.
This is directly in front of the last door and is the foundation of the next building. Here the ground sunk more than 50 cm.

This damage is nothing compared to what I later saw on TV but at the time it really shocked me.

No comments: