Mar 24, 2011

Earthquake Diary 27

 I have increased the size of my account and I can now start showing pictures again. This is another picture of the smoke from  the fire at Sendai Port. At first we thought it might be smoke from the nuclear reactors, but a little thought made me realize that I was facing east, not south, the direction of the reactors. Just after taking this picture, my wife and I decided to go to a nearby shopping center and see if we could buy anything. We particularly needed diapers for the baby.
 On the way we passed this motorcycle shop, where the glass window just under the roof had broken and fallen out.
 We arrived at the shopping center and went in through an area that was supposed to be roped off, but someone had removed the initial ropes. This is the window into one of the stores. It was completely broken.
 This is the view through the window into a bookstore. I think that almost every book in Tohoku ended up on the floor. I am sure glad that I do not work in a library.
 This is the line waiting to buy the things that the employees had brought out onto the pavement. I went up close and did not see anything that we really needed so we decided to go home.
 We walked over to an electronics store. We wanted to buy batteries, but they were all sold out. The pile of stuff in this picture is insulation that had fallen out of the walls. They were bringing it all down to the indoor first floor parking lot.
 As we were leaving, I turned around and took a picture of the places where the material covering the walls had fallen off onto the sidewalk,
This is the beginning of a line of cars that stretched for more than 1500 meters, ending at a gas station that was closed and has remained closed since.

No comments: