Mar 21, 2011

Earthquake Diary 15

Monday, March 21
Today is a national holiday in Japan, Spring Equinox Day, but I do not think many people will actually be celebrating. However, people in Sendai will be feeling better, according to NHK most of the major stores will open today, and if not, tomorrow.

Last night we relaxed over a good meal - cream vegetable stew and garlic bread. After that I watch Shoten on TV. Shoten has been on TV on Sundays from 5:30 to 6 p.m. for 44 years, well over 2000 shows. The show consists of six comedians and an MC, who is also a comedian. The MC outlines a situation and the others ad lib jokes. If it is very good, they are awarded a cushion by the MC. If it is not good, he takes away one or more cushions. If someone accumulates 10 cushions, they get a prize, which is always something silly. I have been watching it since I first came to Japan and it has been a very good measure of my understanding of the Japanese language and culture.

Also, I worked on my new picture for only the second time since the earthquake. That must mean that normality is returning. The picture is based on Hiroshige's woodblock print of the wave, but in my style and with many changes - no boats, for example. I will post a photo of it here, when it is finished.

Later, after finishing the book, Northanger Abbey, I read my internet mail. While doing that, there was another afterquake. Then during my 40 minutes of Vipassana  meditation there was another. And a few minutes after I finished there was a third. I also found this morning that there had been a couple more during the night, but I slept through them. I probably thought it was my wife turning over in bed.

My reactions to the quakes is changing. Now, my heart skips a few beats as I try to figure out whether it is an earthquake or just my inner ear problem acting up. Once I know which it is, my mind settles down, which ever it is. I have heard that it will take about three weeks for the aftershocks to die down, maybe a bit longer because of the strength of the quake. By the time, the aftershocks are gone, I expect life will be back to the new normal.

This morning I got up and turned on the TV. There seems to be no news except Libya and the earthquake. Still all I can find is bad reporting and sensationalism. I should stop wasting my time on the TV, but one of our biggest lacks is a lack of information. This is one of our strongest reasons for going out and walking around, getting information about what stores are open and when, what is happening with various services, etc.

I am really glad that, if I had to be in this sort of disaster, I was in Japan to experience it. So far there has been absolutely no rioting, no looting or anything like that. The only reliable reports I have heard of theft involved people in the tsunami destruction zone stealing kerosene on cold nights. Otherwise, people are putting others before themselves, sharing, and generally cooperating to insure the survival and comfort of everyone. It is going to be very interesting to observe and participate in the reconstruction effort.

Speaking of reconstruction, work has already begun in earnest. Private homes are being repaired by carpenters. Roads and public buildings are being inspected and repairs have begun. Emergency workers, police, hospital staffs, etc., are finally being given some time off to go home and rest. Yesterday my wife talked to a woman who is a nurse. She had just finished her shift and was starting home when the quake struck. She immediately returned to work and continued without breaks, except for short stretches of sleep for a week. She was out trying to get food for her home.

No comments: