Mar 19, 2011

Earthquake Diary 09

 While I later found that our damage was nothing compared to what had occurred in other places, I was truly shocked by what we had received. This is beside the next building.
 This is in the open space between the buildings. The ground sunk away from the manhole cover.
 More damage around the drainage system in the open area.
 This is one of the exits to my building. Before the quake, the bricks were even with the concrete slab on the right.
 This is the hall that connects the exits from the three sections of my building. Each section has its own elevator and on each floor there are two apartments served by each elevator. You can see the pieces of concrete laying where the fell on the floor.
 More of the damage to the drainage system.
 This is the walkway between two of our three buildings. The spaces between the bricks has continued to increase in size. I assume that this is a settling effect caused by the aftershocks.
This is cracks in the ground in the yard of one of the first floor apartments in my building. These are not very wide, just a centimeter or two, but they were still shocking.

No comments: