Mar 28, 2011

Earthquake Diary 37

 This is at Izumi Chuo. The repair work has already started on the buildings. Remember I took these pictures only a few days after the main quake, so things got going very fast.
 The buses were running again, but on the holiday and Sunday schedule.
 This is the entrance to the Izumi Chuo subway station. The sign of the left is an apology for not being able to run the subway. The one on the right says that the free bus to the current end of the line (the fourth station from here) loads at platform 7.
 As you can see, the man on the right is taking the stairs rather than the escalator which has been turned off since the quake.
 This is the free subway bus unloading. It came from Dainohara station, which is now the end of the line.
 My cell phone stopped working a day or two after the quake, probably because of the hand-cranked generator that did not work correctly. On the first day that they reopened I took it to the AU shop. AU is the name of the company that I bought the phone from. A charming young lady tried very hard to make my phone work but eventually had to give up and said that it would have to go back to the factory for repair. It would take two or three months because of the quake. I said okay and she gave me a free replacement to use in the meantime. Having a phone makes me feel much better when I am away from home or my wife is out.
 This is under the second story of the parking garage. One of the supermarkets set up tents to story stuff over night and laid out a store, selling vegetables, fruit, sweets, and some clothes.
Ito Yokado set up an area just inside the main door where they sell essentials. They line was no longer a thousand or more people long. We did not need anything so we decided to come back tomorrow.

No comments: