Mar 22, 2011

Earthquake Diary 20

Tuesday, March 22 continued
Wow! After finishing my coffee, I went out and, while my wife talked to my daughter's mother-in-law on the phone, I vacuumed the whole house, especially the rug that she had spread the cleaner on. I feel like civilization has returned. The apartment is clean. The only remaining remnant of the earthquake is the pictures and mirrors what a still behind furniture to keep the from falling and breaking in the event of a large aftershock. One large picture fell during the quake itself and as soon as the shaking had stopped we removed the others in consideration of the expected aftershocks. We will probably leave the pictures and mirrors where they are for at least a few more days.

I am discovering that I do not have the stamina that I had when I was younger. At my current 71, I run out of gas relatively quickly. However, I have been getting more exercise than usual. I am walking more and carrying more when I walk. Also the stress is adding up. There is the stress from the quake itself and the aftershocks, but there is also stress from searching for food and supplies. There is also a fair amount of stress from just having my vacation routine upset.

According to the local TV news, we have a new problem. The flu season was just about over. The number of cases had peaked and then decreased substantially, but since the quake the number has increased again. Also in western Japan, Fukuoka city, for example, there is a developing problem with noroviruses. I expect that we will start hearing of diseases in the evacuation centers, where the people's weakened conditions and the crowding will cause their spread.

I have not written much about the problems at the nuclear power plants, mainly because solid information is very hard to get. Many of the foreigners, whose main access to news is the foreign press, have left or are leaving. Others have left because of the lack of utilities and food. This is vacation time for teachers, so it is very easy for them to go home for a few weeks while things quiet down. I will stay here because this is my home. I am not particularly worried about the nuclear problems because we are well to the north and the winds tend to blow toward the east or south. Also any increase that we are likely to have will not effect me at my age. I am concerned a bit for my grandchildren and we will do what we can to keep them safe. We could even send them to stay with relatives in Fukuoka, if the medical situation does not get worse.

No comments: